Road-Use Disputes

Filing a Request for Resolution of a Road-Use Dispute under the Public Lands Administration Regulation

When can a request be filed with the Alberta Energy Regulator (AER)

Under section 98 of the Public Lands Administration Regulation and the Specified Enactments (Jurisdiction) Regulation, the AER has the authority to consider a request by a commercial user to use a road licensed in relation to an energy resource activity. If the road licence (licence of occupation) is held for a purpose other than an energy resource activity, the request should be directed to Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development, Lands Division.

Who may file a request
A commercial user that requires the use of a licensed road for its commercial or business activities may file an application with the AER if it has been unsuccessful in reaching an agreement with the holder of the licence of occupation (the licensee).

How to file a request
To file a request, complete the Road-Use Dispute form.

The form and associated documents can be submitted by e-mail to, by fax to 403-297-7031, or by regular mail to

Alberta Energy Regulator
Law Branch, Road-Use Disputes
Suite 1000, 250 – 5 Street SW
Calgary, Alberta T2P 0R4

The commercial user must provide a copy of the request to the licensee and any other party required by the AER.

The AER may dismiss the request if insufficient information was provided or if it considers the request to be

  • frivolous, vexatious, or without merit; or
  • not properly before it (e.g., falls outside the AER’s jurisdiction) .

How to withdraw a request
If the commercial user decides not to proceed with the request, a written letter of withdrawal should be delivered to the AER at the above address.

The dispute resolution process
After reviewing the request, the AER may seek further information from one or more of the parties or contact the parties to discuss pursuing a resolution through a process other than a hearing (e.g., mediation, facilitation, or negotiation). In the event that the alternative process is unsuccessful in achieving a resolution, the matter may be subject to further proceedings.