Alternative dispute resolution (ADR) meetings provide a safe environment for parties to discuss procedures, identify issues for resolution, and find a mutually acceptable solution.
While most disputes are mediated by regional AER staff trained in mediation, disputes are sometimes mediated by independent third-party mediators. This page lists third-party mediators, not employed by the AER, who have expressed an interest in working with parties experiencing energy-related disputes.
All mediators must
- subscribe to a code of ethics or conduct of a relevant professional association or society,
- have working knowledge of interest-based dispute resolution techniques and sufficient related training,
- possess documented experience,
- hold appropriate insurance coverage, and
- have a willingness to travel and complete orientation programs.
List of Third-Party Mediators
These mediators have relevant training and experience in resolving energy-related disputes. Other qualified mediators can be found through the ADR Institute of Alberta. This list does not certify competency or establish credentials.
- Steve Critchley CD, Versatility Group
- John F. Curran, Q.C.
- Clint Docken, Q.C.
- David G. Gould, LL.B, Q.C., C.Med, David Gould Mediation and Facilitation Services
- David Hill, Hill ADR Services Ltd.
- James B. (Bev) Issacs, Sage Institute of Calgary Ltd.
- Nancy Loraas, Next Level Leadership
- Bob McBean, Q.C.
- Jim McCartney, McCartney ADR Inc.
- Gary Selby, Arangel Energy Corp.
- Sabri M. Shawa, Q.C., FCIArb, Jensen Shawa Solomon Duguid Hawkes LLP
- Tom W. Smith, BLC Enterprises
- Sharon Wilson, Resources International