Release of ST60B-2016: Upstream Petroleum Industry Flaring and Venting Report, 2015VIEW PDF (128.93 KB)
Release Date: Feb 10, 2017
The Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) is releasing its annual ST60B-2016: Upstream Petroleum Industry Flaring and Venting Report, 2015.
The AER has updated the report to support the AER’s regulatory development work on methane reduction. This update does not require industry to submit new data to the AER.
ST60B changes are as follows:
- Table 1 was expanded to include
- flaring and venting,
- oil and bitumen production,
- solution gas production,
- the total number of batteries, and
- the number of batteries that flared, vented, and conserved.
- Statistics for in situ oil sands bitumen operations are now compared with primary bitumen operations.
- Gas plant flared-gas volumes as a percentage of gas receipts are in table 6.
- Statistics for glycol dehydrators and benzene emissions are in section 6.
- Statistics for surface casing vent flow and gas migration emissions are in section 7.
- Paper batteries are on provincial solution gas flaring and venting maps.
- Greenhouse gas emissions are expressed in tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent in new columns in the company rankings table, and in the text of the report.
ST60B increases petroleum industry awareness of emissions and encourages improved operator performance. It is a compilation of data related to industry flaring, venting, and solution gas conservation from upstream oil and gas operations in 2015. The tables in the report rank operators based on solution gas flared, solution gas vented, and total solution gas production from crude oil and bitumen batteries. The province-wide rankings are also subgrouped by AER field centre area.
<original signed by>
Environment and Operational Performance Branch