The following maps, map viewers, and shapefiles allow users to easily locate various energy projects, activities, and approvals across Alberta. Some maps on this page are also available on OneStop, our new application processing technology.
Our downloadable maps provide information on development areas and industry activities. The files are last updated as indicated.
- Horizontal Multistage Fractured Well Activity by Fluid Type (updated quarterly) [PDF]
- Horizontal Multistage Fractured Well Activity by Strat Unit (updated quarterly) [PDF]
- Map-84: Coal Drillhole Locations, 2010 [PDF]
- Map-85: Coal Mines and Potential Coal Development Areas, 2014 [PDF]
- Map-86: Significant Coal-Bearing Formations in Alberta, 2005 [Tableau]
- Map-87: Coal in Alberta (2015, historical map) [ZIP]. For current information, refer to the mapviewer and/or shapfile.
- Map-90: Designated Oil and Gas Fields, and Oil Sands Deposits, updated monthly [PDF]
- Map-94: Alberta Strike Areas (includes map and strike list), 2018 [ZIP]
- Mineable Oil Sands Regional Development Status Maps, 2008 [ZIP]
- Table of Formations, Alberta (May, 2019) [PDF] [ZIP]
- Zones Available for Shale Gas Fluids, 2010 [PDF]
Our interactive maps, map viewers, and spatial tools are designed to let you browse our data in an easy-to-use format. Built-in toolbars allow you to quickly locate an area of interest or an energy activity and find associated information.
- AER Order System Map Viewer
- Abandoned Well Map
- Base of Groundwater Protection Query Tool
- Coal Mine Map Viewer
- Dam and Pond Map
- Disposition Spatial Processing Tool
- Fox Creek Area Water Allocation Map
- Map-86: Significant Coal-Bearing Formations in Alberta [Tableau]
- OneStop Public Map Viewer
- Scheme Approval Area Map Viewer
- Well Spacing Map Viewer
Our downloadable shapefiles provide spatial data for certain geological features and industry activities. All files are in ZIP format and are updated monthly unless otherwise stated.
- AER Order System Shapefile
- Abandoned Well Spatial Data Shapefile
- Abandoned Well Locations Shapefile - Revised
- Coal Mines in Alberta Shapefile
- Enhanced Pipeline Shapefile. CSV files are included within the ZIP files below. Please refer to this layout document for CSV format.
- Facility List Shapefile (ST102)
- Field Surveillance Incident Inspection Shapefile
- Field Centre Regional Office Boundaries Map
- List of Wells in Alberta Shapefile (ST37 - updated monthly)
- Play Outline Shapefile
- Scheme Approval Spatial Data Shapefile
Find More Maps and Shapefiles
Refer to our Products and Services Catalogue for a full list of maps and shapefiles, as well as information on file sizes and available formats.
The AER’s Alberta Geological Survey (AGS) has a large selection of maps of Alberta depicting surficial and bedrock geology, drift thickness, groundwater/hydrogeology, and mineral resources. To find out more, visit AGS’s Geological Maps of Alberta.
If you have questions about these tools, or notice information is missing, please contact our Customer Contact Centre.