Our estimated processing time for new applications is 103 business days and for amendment applications is 63 business days. See our timeline spreadsheet for updates.
Purpose of the Application
Companies must apply for primary recovery schemes that are used for bitumen recovery operations if the scheme does not follow our standard quarter section drilling spacing unit requirements in
- section 4.010(3) of the Oil and Gas Conservation Rules (regarding quarter section spacing); or
- IL 85-12: Oil Sands Primary Production - Well Spacing Primary Recovery Scheme Approvals (regarding primary recovery schemes).
A primary recovery scheme approval is required before licensing and drilling a second well in a quarter section for the purpose of bitumen recovery if an existing well is capable of bitumen production from the same target formation.
By submitting an application, the company accepts that its information is no longer confidential.
- We share all applications on our Public Notice of Application page to encourage public participation in the approval process.
- Anyone who believes they may be directly and adversely affected by an application can file a statement of concern (SOC). If we receive an SOC, it may take us longer to process the application.
- We will assign the application to a subject matter expert for initial review. If information is missing (i.e., the application is not complete), we will close the application. Otherwise, we will proceed with a full technical review.
- We may request additional information (through a supplemental information request) to complete our technical review.
- We will decide to approve, close, or deny the application. If we close it, the applicant may reapply without prejudice. If we deny it, the applicant can file an appeal through our appeal process.
- We will provide the applicant with a link to the letter with our decision, which is accessible through the Integrated Application Registry. We will also share our decision on ourPublication of Decision page.