Notice of Hearing
Proceeding ID 356
Value Creation Inc.
Location: SE and SW10-56-21W4M
The Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) will hold a public hearing of applications 1861615 and 005-203303. The hearing will be scheduled after requests to participate are filed. If there are no participants, the AER may cancel the hearing and decide on the applications without further notice.
Description of the Application
Value Creation Inc. (VCI) applied under the Oil Sands Conservation Act and the Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act to amend existing AER approvals to construct a three-phase oil sands processing plant (bitumen upgrader) about 15 kilometres northeast of Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta.
The amendment proposes changes to VCI’s processing plant design in order to produce ultralow sulphur diesel, hydrotreated naphtha, and premium synthetic crude oil with a total production capacity of 173 600 barrels per day.
See the map of the project area for more details.
Where can I find information about the application and the hearing?
For a copy of the hearing materials, including the applications, contact
Value Creation Inc.
Suite 1100, 635 – 8th Ave. SW.
Calgary, Alberta T2P 3M3
Attention: Liming Liu
Email: Liming.Liu @VCTek.com
To view the materials in person or for information on AER procedures, contact
Tara Wheaton,Hearing Coordinator
Alberta Energy Regulator
Suite 1000, 250 – 5 Street SW
Calgary, Alberta T2P 0R4
How can I apply to participate in the hearing?
Subject to any directions regarding participation that may be made by the panel, if you wish to participate in the hearing, you must file a written request to participate, even if you have already filed a statement of concern with the AER.
Your request to participate must contain.
- a copy of your statement of concern or an explanation why you did not file one;
- a concise statement indicating
- why and how you may be directly and adversely affected by the AER’s decision on the application, or
- if you will not be directly and adversely affected by a decision on the application, explain
- what the nature of your interest in the matter is and why you should be permitted to participate,
- how your participation will materially assist the AER in deciding the matter that is the subject of the hearing,
- how you have a tangible interest is in the subject matter of the hearing,
- how your participation will not unnecessarily delay the hearing, and
- how you will not repeat or duplicate evidence presented by other parties;
- the outcome of the application that you advocate;
- the nature and scope of your intended participation;
- your contact information;
- if you are acting on behalf of a group or association of people, the nature of your membership in the group or association; and
- your efforts, if any, to resolve issues associated with the proceeding directly with the applicant.
Send one copy of the request to VCI and one copy to the hearing coordinator. Submissions should be PDF documents with bookmarks, page numbers (with the first page in the document being numbered page one), and optical character recognition.
|October 13, 2017||
Final date to file a request to participate.
October 20, 2017
Final date for response from the applicant on any requests to participate.
Is this a public process?
Yes. Section 49 of the Rules of Practice requires that all documents and information filed for a proceeding be placed on the public record. If you file a submission, you must not include any personal information that you do not want to appear on or are not authorized to put on the public record. Section 49(2) of the Rules of Practice states how to apply to the AER for an order to keep information confidential.
If my request to participate is approved, can I apply to get reimbursed for hearing-related costs?
If you are participating in a hearing, you may be eligible to have some of your costs paid. Directive 031: REDA Energy Cost Claims explains how and when to apply.
What is outside of the AER’s jurisdiction?
Compensation for land use is not dealt with by the AER and should be referred to the Alberta Surface Rights Board.
Issued at Calgary, Alberta, on September 26, 2017.
ALBERTA ENERGY REGULATOR
Map of the project area