Invitation for Feedback on Revisions to Directive 001
Release Date: January 09, 2023
We are seeking feedback on updates to Directive 001: Requirements for Site-Specific Liability Assessment. The changes we’ve made are as follows:
- removed irrelevant or duplicative information, updated the references, and brought the directive up to AER formatting standards (this included moving the forms out of the directive for future posting on the directive’s landing page)
- revised the definition of liability assessment to emphasize the obligations of licensees to provide care and custody from shutdown of operations through suspension, abandonment, remediation, and finally to site reclamation
- modified the scope of the directive to include sites regulated under the Geothermal Resource Development Rules
- integrated the requirements that were in appendix 2 into the main body, making them applicable to all sites, not just sites under the Large Facility Liability Management Program
- removed the requirement to submit the On-Site Reclamation and Remediation Details form and the Facility Summary form
To provide feedback on the proposed revisions to Directive 001, complete the public comment form on our website. Comments in other formats can be emailed to @email or mailed to Alberta Energy Regulator, Suite 1000, 250 – 5 Street SW, Calgary, Alberta T2P 0R4. Feedback will be accepted through February 8, 2023.
All feedback received will be reviewed and may be used in finalizing Directive 001. The comments provided through this consultation will form part of the public record and may be attributed to the specific individuals who provided them. Personal information provided with comments will be collected, used, and disclosed in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. We may use the personal contact information you provide for follow-up communication related to your feedback.
The revised edition of Directive 001 is available on our website at www.aer.ca > Regulating Development > Rules and Directives > Directives under the tab “Draft / Open for Comments.” If you have any questions, contact our Customer Contact Centre by phone at 1-855-297-8311 or by email at email@example.com.