Directive 089: Geothermal Resource Development
Release Date: August 15, 2022
Effective Date: August 15, 2022
Released with Bulletin 2022-25
Purpose of this Directive
This directive sets out the Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) requirements for geothermal resource development below the base of groundwater protection.
- defines the types of geothermal developments and systems;
- identifies the licences and authorizations for wells, facilities, and pipelines;
- extends the existing Licensee Management Program (i.e., holistic licensee assessment, estimates of liability, and security deposits) to include geothermal developments;
- identifies the requirements for converting an oil and gas well to geothermal; and
- identifies risk assessment requirements related to hazards for geothermal wells.
Many of the AER's requirements for oil and gas development apply to geothermal resource development. Consequently, this directive refers to other AER directives with applicable requirements.