Directive 090: Brine-Hosted Mineral Resource Development
Release Date: March 15, 2023
Effective date: March 15, 2023
Purpose of this Directive
This directive sets out the Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) requirements for brine-hosted mineral resource development.
- defines the types of mineral developments, including brine-hosted mineral schemes;
- identifies the licences and authorizations for wells, facilities, pipelines, and schemes;
- extends the existing Licensee Management Program (i.e., holistic licensee assessment, estimates of liability, and security deposits) to include brine-hosted mineral developments;
- identifies the requirements for converting oil, gas, or geothermal wells to a brine-hosted minerals well;
- identifies risk assessment requirements related to hazards for brine-hosted mineral wells; and
- identifies data filing, measurement, and reporting requirements specific to brine-hosted mineral wells.
Many of the AER’s requirements for oil and gas development apply to the development of brine-hosted minerals. Consequently, this directive refers to other AER directives with applicable requirements.